Actions

Raymore-Peculiar graduation evacuated due to smoke from lighting fixture

Posted: 9:54 PM, May 18, 2018
Updated: 2018-05-18 22:54:07-04
Raymore-Peculiar graduation evacuated due to smoke from lighting fixture

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Raymore-Peculiar High School graduation was briefly interrupted Friday night by smoke caused by a lighting fixture. 

The graduation was held at the Community of Christ auditorium in Independence. 

Officials said a hot light ballast caused a ceiling tile to smoke. The crowd was evacuated for about 30 minutes as crews addressed the issue. 

Malachi Aaron O'Brien posted video of the incident on Facebook. He said, in light of what happened in Texas Friday morning , it was initially scary inside the auditorium. 

The ceremony resumed as normal once fire crews resolved the issue.