The American Red Cross has an urgent need for blood and platelet donations to prevent a shortage this winter.
January is National Blood Donor Month, which has been observed since 1970 with the goal of increasing blood donations during the winter – one of the most difficult times of year to collect enough blood and platelet donations to meet patient needs.
In addition to winter bringing busy holiday schedules for many regular donors, severe winter weather can cancel blood drives, and seasonal illnesses, like the flu, may cause donors to be temporarily unable to give.
Donation appointments can be quickly and easily scheduled by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting redcrossblood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming donation opportunities|
Kansas- Johnson County
- 1/26/2016: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., BASYS Processing, 15423 W. 100th Terrace
- 1/20/2016: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m., AT&T Operations Center, 5400 Foxridge Drive
- 1/16/2016: 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., Rawhide Harley-Davidson, 725 N. Rawhide Road
- 1/18/2016: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., Indian Creek Branch, 12990 South Black Bob Road
- 1/18/2016: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m., Bass Pro Shop Olathe, 12051 Bass Pro Drive
- 1/22/2016: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m., AIG, 17200 W. 119th St
- 1/14/2016: 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., Clear Creek, 13590 Earnshaw
- 1/23/2016: 8 a.m. - 1 p.m., New Haven Seventh-day Adventist Church, 8714 Antioch Road
- 1/26/2016: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m., Lighton II, 7400 College Blvd.
- 1/25/2016: 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Monticello Trails Middle School, 6100 Monticello Road
- 1/22/2016: 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Armed Forces Insurance Building 325, 655 Biddle Ave
- 1/21/2016: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., The Guidance Center, 500 Limit St.
- 1/27/2016: 2:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., Paola Middle School, 405 N. Hospital Drive
- 1/21/2016: 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., Moose Lodge 1999, 6621 Turner Drive
- 1/26/2016: 2 p.m. - 6 p.m., Northwest Missouri Chapter, 401 N. 12th St.
- 1/28/2016: 4 p.m. - 7 p.m., Oak Point of Kearney Assisted Living and Memory Care, 200 Meadowbrook Drive
- 1/20/2016: 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., Nikki & Wesley Christian Dental, 1400 South Outer Road
- 1/15/2016: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m., Bass Pro Shop Independence, 18001 Bass Pro Drive
- 1/22/2016: 2 p.m. - 6 p.m., Power & Light District - Gordon Biersch, 100 East 14th St.
- 1/25/2016: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m., Swinney Rec Center, 5030 Holmes St
- 1/28/2016: 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., Kansas City City Hall, 414 E 12th St.
- 1/29/2016: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Hy Vee 64th Street, 5330 NW 64th St.
- 1/19/2016: 2 p.m. - 7 p.m., Riverside Community Center, 4498 NW High Drive
How to donate blood|
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood donors can now save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, from a home or work computer prior to arriving at the blood drive.
To get started and learn more, visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass and follow the instructions on the site.