NewsLocal News


Suspect in custody, child safe after kidnapping, chase from KCK

End of KCK kidnapping chase in Miami County
Posted at 12:36 PM, Oct 22, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-22 20:24:49-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City, Kansas, police said a young boy is safe after a kidnapping led to a high-speed chase late Thursday morning.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., the father of the child called 911 to report that the 2-year-old boy, who was inside a car at the time, had been taken. The father said he had gotten out of the car and then saw someone jump in and drive away with the child still inside.

The suspect, a woman, led authorities on a chase to the south that ended near U.S. 69 and 223rd Street in Miami County. The Kansas Highway Patrol used stop sticks to end the chase.

The woman was taken into custody, KCKPD said, and the child was safe and being reunited with his family early Thursday afternoon.

The 2-year-old boy's mother, Destany Andrews, said she was at home asleep when she received a call about her son being inside a stolen car.

"I really didn't know if this was a joke or real," Andrews said.

Andrews said she couldn't help but imagine the worst.

"You see all these horror stories and all these TV shows and bad stuff happens to the baby so you just worry about your baby," Andrews said.

The baby's grandmother, Patricia Henderson, said she was in disbelief after receiving a call from her son about what happened.

"It was just shocking like you don't know what to think or do," Henderson said.

Henderson and Andrews said they will be forever grateful to the authorities who made sure the baby got home safe.

"We're very thankful because like she said before, you see too many horror stories of the outcome with the kids in the car," Henderson said.

Nancy Chartrand, a public information officer with KCKPD, said neither the suspect nor the child were injured during the chase, which involved KCKPD, the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office and the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The relationship between the suspect and the child was not immediately clear, Chartrand said.