KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man who is known for community service in the Kansas City area, now needs help of his own.
Scott Lamaster, the founder of Taking it to the Streets, was severely burned in an accident involving a propane grill Saturday.
"He opened it up and it blew up in his face. It threw him six feet against another truck," said a tearful Janna Jensen, Lamaster's daughter.
Jensen said her father has second-degree burns and is being put in a hyperbaric chamber that will put oxygen directly onto his burns. That treatment is supposed to speed up the healing process and prevent infection.
On Thursday, Dec. 7, Lamaster was released from the hospital.
Lamaster has worked on Taking it to the Streets since 2001. The program supports first responders and disaster victims when they need it most. Volunteers carry food, water, and resources in the trucks to the scene of accidents, essentially "taking it to the streets."
The side of the trucks say, "Dedicated to the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice serving our communities."
Jensen describes her father as dedicated and full of passion.
"If I asked him his biggest characteristic, he'd say his integrity," said Jensen.
In addition to first responder and victim support, Lamaster's nonprofit serves about 125 homeless people food every Friday and Sunday night. He was actually grilling chicken for Sunday's meal when he was burned.
"He's got a heart for Kansas City and people who are hurting," said Jensen.
His meal will continue Sunday, with volunteers and Jensen's husband stepping up.
"We're trying to put people in place to take the burden off of him," said Jensen.