A team has been chosen to look at KC Streetcar expansion efforts.
The KC Streetcar Authority (KCSA) with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA) selected the team led by HDR to conduct a KC Streetcar Southern Extension study to assess multi-modal transportation needs.
According to a news release from the KCSA, the KC Streetcar Southern Extension study will focus on:
- Data collection (utilities, current conditions, etc.)
- Refining alignment details (curb-running, center-running)
- Station stop locations and terminus configuration
- Plan for coordinated regional transit service integration and improvement
- Updated cost estimates
- Initiation of federal funding process
The news release says the primary study area extends from downtown Kansas City and Union Station, south to UMKC in the vicinity of 51st and Brookside Boulevard. The study area is bounded on the west by Broadway Boulevard and on the east by Gillham Road.
The KCSA, with Port KC and the KCATA, is already studying a streetcar and multi-modal extension to Berkley Riverfront Park.
HDR will serve as the project lead. The team will consist of members from Burns & McDonnell, HNTB, Trekk Design Group, Hg Consult, Parson + Associates, VSM Engineering and Architectural & Historical Research.