KANSAS CITY, Mo. — With thunderstorms in the forecast Friday night, several area school districts announced Wednesday that they are moving football games to Thursday.
The Independence School District announced that its games originally scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday will be moved up one day.
William Chrisman will play at Truman at 7 p.m. on Thursday, while Van Horn will host Northeast High School at 7 p.m. on Thursday at William Chrisman's football stadium.
Grain Valley also moved its Friday night homecoming game against Winnetonka to 7 p.m. on Thursday.
North of the river, Staley now will host Lee’s Summit West at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Liberty also announced that its game at Lee's Summit North has been moved to Thursday.
ALERT: due to the anticipated storms Friday and Saturday, the varsity football game at Lee’s Summit North has been moved to Thursday (tomorrow)! 7PM kick-off. @JaysFootball @LibertyQBClub @LTownSection @LHSSportsMktg @Blue_Jay_Nation @BluejayLeaders @LHSJaysCheer— LHS Athletics (@LHSBlueJays) September 25, 2019
Raytown Schools also announced that both of its high schools' homecoming games were being moved to Thursday.
The Bluejays host Ruskin and the Cardinals host Platte County.
Notice: Homecoming football games for Raytown High School and Raytown South High School scheduled for Friday, September 27 have been moved to Thursday, September 26 at 7:00 p.m. pic.twitter.com/ZTyFHwgMJm— Raytown Schools (@RaytownSchools) September 25, 2019
Several schools on the Kansas side also made the decision to move game up to 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Shawnee Mission South at Olathe South, which has its homecoming this weekend, will be Thursday at the Olathe District Activity Center.
ALERT!! ATTENTION!! Due to a forecast for inclement weather on Friday, The @osffbc HoCo FB game vs @SMSRaiderFB is rescheduled for 7:00 pm THURSDAY 9/26 at ODAC. This is not a drill!! Repeat. The @osffbc Homecoming Football game will be tomorrow! @OS_BirdHouse @OlatheSouthHS pic.twitter.com/7uE6QHWuQ0— Matt Johnson (@ADJohnsonOS) September 25, 2019
Olathe West at Shawnee Mission North has been changed to a boys' soccer/football doubleheader on Thursday.
The soccer game kicks off at 3:30 p.m. followed by the football game at 7 p.m.
Important Schedule Changes!— ADButlerOW (@ADButlerOW) September 25, 2019
THURSDAY will be a soccer/football double header at SM North HS due to impending weather on Friday.
Varsity Soccer will start at 3:30pm
Varsity Football will start at 7pm
One ticket gets you into both games!
*JV Soccer is postponed to a later date.
St. James Academy at Bishop Miege a
lso has been moved to Thursday, according to Stags coach Jon Holmes. The Thunder and Stags will kick off at 7:30 p.m. at Dixon Doll Stadium.
According to our high school partner, Preps KC, here are the other games moved to Thursday evening as of 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Blue Valley North at Blue Valley West
- Gardner-Edgerton at Olathe East (College Boulevard Activity Center)
- Lawrence Free State at Shawnee Mission West (SM South Stadium)
- Adrian at Cass-Midway (7:30 p.m.)
- Excelsior Springs at Harrisonville
- Lee's Summit at Park Hill South
- Liberty North at St. Joesph Central
- Oak Park at Fort Osage
- Park Hill at Raymore-Peculiar
- St. Paul Lutheran at Lone Jack
- Warrensburg at Pleasant Hill
- Wellington-Napoleon at Crest Ridge
Blue Valley Southwest at Blue Valley Northwest will remain Friday, but kickoff has been moved to 4 p.m., while Grandview at Kearney has been moved up to 5:30 p.m. on Friday.
The Blue Springs School District also announced that it would move up its Friday kickoff by two hours, to 5 p.m. Blue Springs South will host Blue Springs.
Here is a list of other games that will remain on Friday but moved up the kickoff time:
- Columbine (Colorado) at Olathe North (4 p.m. at Olathe District Activity Center)
- Harmon at Atchison (5:30 p.m.)
- Lansing at De Soto (4 p.m.)
- Olathe Northwest at Lawrence (5 p.m.)
- Piper at Louisburg (5 p.m.)
- Rockhurst at Blue Valley (4 p.m.)
- Shawnee Heights at Basehor-Linwood (4 p.m.)
- SM Northwest at SM East (3:30 p.m. at SM South District Stadium)
- St. Thomas Aquinas at Mill Valley (4 p.m.)
- Tonganoxie at Bonner Springs (5 p.m.)
- Turner at Leavenworth (5 p.m.)
- Belton at North Kansas City (5:30 p.m.)
- Bolivar at Center (2 p.m.)
- Central at East (4 p.m.)
- Jasper at Archie (6 p.m.)
- Lathrop at West Platte (6 p.m.)
- Lawson at North Platte (5 p.m.)
- Lexington at Holden (5 p.m.)
- Lincoln Prep at Pembroke Hill (5 p.m.)
- Mid Buchanan at Penney (5:30 p.m.)
- Odessa at Oak Grove (4:30 p.m.)
- Plattsburg at East Buchanan (5:30 p.m.)
- Sedalia Smith-Cotton at Smithville (4:30 p.m.)
41 Action News meteorologist Gerald Jebaily said thunderstorms, some possibly strong to severe, could roll into the Kansas City area on Friday afternoon and have a major impact on evening plans.
Conditions for Thursday night look much more favorable for outdoor activities, he said.
Check kshb.com/weather for latest forecast updates.