NewsNational

Actions

US sending 3,000 more troops to Middle East as reinforcements

Posted: 11:59 AM, Jan 03, 2020
Updated: 2020-01-03 13:23:19-05
US sending 3,000 more troops to Middle East as reinforcements

The United States is sending nearly 3,000 more Army troops to the Middle East in the volatile aftermath of the killing of an Iranian general in a strike ordered by President Donald Trump.

Defense officials said the troops are from the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

They are in addition to about 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne who deployed to Kuwait earlier this week after the storming of the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad by Iran-backed militiamen and their supporters.

The reinforcements took shape as Trump gave his first comments on the strike. He said he ordered the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani because he was “plotting to kill” many Americans.