President Donald Trump will revoke U.S. Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris, a source within the agency told Scripps News.
Harris was Trump’s opponent in the 2024 presidential election.
Under federal law, former vice presidents and their immediate families are entitled to Secret Service protection for six months after leaving office. That period for Harris ended in July.
The secretary of Homeland Security has the authority to extend protection beyond that window. However, President Joe Biden had signed an order granting Harris an additional year of protection, which would have kept her detail until July 2027.
The news of Friday's revocation was first reported by CNN and independently confirmed by Scripps News.
A Democratic member of Congress, who didn't want to be identified due to fear of retribution, gave reaction to Scripps News concerning President Trump's decision:
"If somebody dies because of his actions, he needs to know he’s gonna be responsible for it," they said.
Reached by phone on Friday, Sen. Peter Welch, D-VT, was blunt. "The vengeance rampage continues," he told Scripps News.
Democratic Rep. Robert Garcia, who was the national co-chair of Harris' presidential campaign, said, "As the first woman and Black person elected Vice President, Kamala Harris faced elevated threats. This move by Trump is dangerous. I saw the VP last week and was grateful for her Secret Service protection. They were incredibly professional and kept her safe. Shameful."
Biden himself lost Secret Service protection after leaving the White House in 2017 but regained it when it became clear he would be the Democratic presidential nominee in 2020.
While former vice presidents lose their Secret Service protection after leaving office, former presidents have lifetime protection.
Harris is slated to go on a 15-city book tour starting Sept. 24 after she wrote about her 107-day campaign for president.