KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Royals baseball returns Thursday with the boys in blue hosting the Chicago White Sox. Here’s what you need to know if you’re heading to Kauffman Stadium.
Parking lot opens at 9 a.m. Click here for directions and parking information.
Gates to the stadium open at 1 p.m.
First pitch is scheduled for 3:15 p.m.
What you can/cannot bring into Kauffman Stadium
You cannot bring:
- Large backpacks or bags
- Any drinks besides water or sports drink
- Cameras with 12” or more lenses
- Bullhorns/airhorns/cowbells (or other noisemakers staff deem unacceptable)
- Aerosol cans (sunscreen, hairspray, mace, etc.)
You can bring:
- Smaller bags, backpacks that must fit in a space 16 inches long, 16 inches tall, and 8 inches wide (will be inspected as you enter stadium)
- A sealed/unopened 1-liter or smaller bottle of water or sports drink (one per person allowed)
Click here for a full list of prohibited items and more information on Royals security.
What’s going on before the game
According to the Royals, the in-stadium pregame show starts at 2 p.m.
The Royals will celebrate the Club’s 50 Seasons of Baseball with on-field ceremonies honoring Royals alumni, ownership family members, a special In Memoriam video, and the club’s two World Series Championships.
Participants who are scheduled to take part in the pregame ceremonies include:
- Buck O’Neil Legacy Seat Honoree: Shannon Manning. Manning, then a member of the graphic design team at Hallmark, came up with the first artwork that led to the original trademarked Royals logo.
- Presentation of Colors: Whiteman Air Force Base will present the colors prior to the National Anthem.
- National Anthem: Local jazz saxophonist Bobby Watson will perform it.
- Flyover: After the National Anthem, two Navy F-18 squadrons from Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia, will fly over the K.
- First Pitch Ball Delivery: Julia Irene Kauffman, daughter of Ewing and Muriel Kauffman and current member of the Royals Board of Directors, will deliver the first pitch ball to the mound.
- Ceremonial First Pitch: Current Royals owner David Glass will throw it. He is entering his 19th season as Owner and Chief Executive Officer of the Royals.
- Rawlings Gold Glove Presentation: Royals outfielder Alex Gordon will receive the 2017 Rawlings Gold Glove for American League left fielder. This is his 5th AL Rawlings Gold Glove.
Visit https://www.mlb.com/royals for more information.