KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The number of cases of people ingesting a chemical solution has increased, Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Dr. Lee Norman said Monday.
Norman said he received the information from Dr. Stephen Thornton, a toxicologist and emergency medicine specialist at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Thornton told Norman he’d seen an increase of more than 40% in cleaning chemical cases.
That included a man over the weekend who drank a product “because of the advice that he received,” Norman said.
Norman said the department is “doing what we can to counter-message against that kind of remedy.”
Norman did not specifically mention any ties between the increase and President Donald Trump's inquiry if disinfectant could be injected into the lungs to kill COVID-19 inside the body.
The following day, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a reminder to United States citizens not to consume disinfectants.