Kansas City man describes surviving attack at his home

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas City man who was attacked and held at gunpoint at his home Wednesday described his scary experience to 41 Action News. He said it could have ended much worse. 

Simply going by Marlon, the homeowner said he works nights and was sleeping around 11 a.m. when someone repeatedly rang his doorbell for several minutes. When he looked outside he saw two suspicious men and a white Grand Am. 

"With the hood up. Like his car was broke down or something," he said. 

Marlon assumed the two men would leave. Instead they started kicking in his door.

"And I could see the door pulsating with every kick. So now I went to the next room to grab my bat because I know at that point he's coming through the door," said Marlon. “As soon as the door came open and he tried to come in, I swung, he fell back."

Marlon swung his bat at the two men, falling outside onto his driveway in the process. 

"That's when he was confident enough to stop running and pull out his firearm," he said. 

Both men pointed handguns at Marlon before entering his home. Marlon then ran for help. Minutes later they were gone. 

"This could be a homicide conversation because I could be laying right there. They had plenty of opportunity to fire his firearm but they did not," said the homeowner. 

Marlon is confused not only as to why the two unknown men would want to break into his home, but also why they didn't steal anything once they got inside.

"The question, 'Why,' still lingers," he said. "I'm surprised I didn't get shot, to be honest."

Police identified the white Grand Am and two suspects near Bannister and 71 Highway before a high-speed chase ensued. Eventually the suspects' vehicle crashed near 90th and Raytown Road in south Kansas City. 

One suspect was seriously injured in the crash. He was arrested and taken to a nearby hospital where he died Wednesday afternoon. As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, KCPD was still on the hunt for the other suspect.

Anyone with information on the identity of the suspect who is still at large is asked to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-8477. 



Josh Helmuth can be reached at josh.helmuth@kshb.com

Follow him on Twitter:

Connect on Facebook: 

Print this article Back to Top