KCMO man shot by police charged in fatal shooting

KCPD OIS scene 083019.jpeg
Posted at 5:35 PM, Aug 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-30 18:35:38-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A 31-year-old Kansas City, Missouri, man faces a range of felony charges in connection with a triple shooting incident Thursday afternoon.

Michael D. Wilson, 31, has been charged with second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault and three counts of armed criminal action in Jackson County court after killing one man and wounding another in a disturbance near East 14th Street and Bellefontaine Avenue.

An off-duty police officer working at a business in the area was alerted to the disturbance and shot Wilson in the leg during an armed confrontation.

Prosecutors and police allege Wilson shot and killed Elijah J. Muhammad, 29, who died at the scene.

Wilson allegedly injured another man, who was taken to a local hospital with a gunshot wound to his abdomen.

According to court documents, the second shooting victim met Muhammad and an unidentified female at at a store on Truman Road.

He agreed to drive them to the 1400 block of Bellefontaine, where Muhammad and the woman lived in a tent.

When Muhammad exited the vehicle, someone approached from near a dark-colored SUV and opened fire.

The shooter, subsequently identified as Wilson, then turned the gun on the second man as he sat in the driver’s seat of his car.

That man tried to back his vehicle away from the shooter before he observed the off-duty officer moving toward the shooter, who was now on the ground.

The woman fled from the car on foot and was not shot.

She went to KCPD headquarters to give a statement, indicating the trio in the car made plans to pick up scrap from the tent and take it to a scrapyard to sell.

The woman said she also saw the off-duty officer shoot out the back window of the SUV, which fled the scene

Wilson also was hospitalized after being shot by the off-duty officer, who repeatedly warned him to put down the gun before firing, according to a witness statement.

Prosecutors have requested a $750,000 bond.