Two men charged after three women held at gunpoint during ‘OfferUp' sale

Posted: 5:34 PM, Jun 01, 2017
Updated: 2017-06-01 22:34:18Z

A second man is facing felony charges after he allegedly helped hold three women at gunpoint during a meetup to sell a cellphone.

Abdiwasa Abdi, 18, was charged Tuesday with aiding and abetting a person shooting a firearm at a motor vehicle and armed criminal action.

Also charged is Sheikhnoor Jeylani, 18. He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and armed criminal action in January.

Court documents say Abdi and Jeylani were with two other men on January 3 when they went to meet three women selling a cellphone using the app OfferUp.

The group decided to meet in the North Kansas City YMCA parking lot near Armour Rd. and Iron St. around 3 p.m.

Court documents say the women waited in their car for Abdi and Jeylani to approach them. The other two men waited in a red SUV nearby.

According to the victims, Abdi and Jeylani tried to convince them to get into the SUV to talk about selling the cellphone. When the women refused, Jeylani got into the back seat of the victims' car.

The woman in the driver’s seat said she saw Abdi, who was still standing outside the car, hand a gun to Jeylani. She put her hands up as he demanded money, hit her in the face with the gun and pulled her hair.

Court documents say when Jeylani cocked the gun, one of the victims in the car gave him $150 and both men ran back to the red SUV.

In an effort to stop the men from leaving, the victim in the driver’s seat pulled the car in front of the SUV. She was also trying to take a picture of the vehicle and the suspects inside with her cellphone.

Court documents say that’s when Jeylani aimed the gun out of the window and yelled at them to get out of the way.

The driver of the SUV rammed into the women’s vehicle and started to flee, but the women pursued.

The women told police they heard two gunshots, and saw one of the bullets hit the passenger door on the driver’s side. Still, the women followed the vehicle until they could flag down nearby police.

Officers pursued the SUV until it came to a stop a few miles away.

Two men in the back of the SUV fled. The driver and the front passenger were taken into custody.

The two men that ran away from the scene were eventually identified from photo lineups as Abdi and Jeylani. Police say the incident was also caught on surveillance video in the parking lot.

Jeylani has since bonded out of the Clay County Jail.

Abdi has pleaded not guilty and remains in the Clay County Jail under a $50,000 bond.

No other charges have yet been filed in this case.