NewsLocal News


Two in custody after police chase through North Kansas City

north kansas city police chase
Posted at 1:25 PM, Jun 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-05 18:42:58-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Two people were taken into custody late Wednesday morning after a police chase through North Kansas City, Missouri.

Kansas City, Missouri, police said the chase that ended in North Kansas City began in the area of Northeast Vivion Road and Northeast Antioch Road, where officers saw individuals in a Lincoln Navigator who were wanted on felony warrants out of Clay County.

Officers followed on the ground until the police chopper spotted them.

"I heard the sirens go by and then I just started counting all the cop cars and I counted nine, so I went outside to check to see what was going on," said Anessa Owings, who witnessed the chase.

KCPD said at one point a passenger with their hands tied fell out of the SUV. That individual told officers they had been kidnapped.

At slow speeds, the suspects snaked through an industrial park off Levee Street in NKC.

"And I was like, 'What?,' so I started asking the people across the street and they're like, 'Yeah, this car has been passing by. They're going 25 miles per hour. They have a passenger in the vehicle,'" Owings said.

The SUV stopped and started again several times as officers closed in, while nearby businesses were notified and placed on lockdown.

"When they got down to the end of the road, they stopped and then shortly after that we heard three gunshots we thought were gunshots," Owings said. "We were hoping it was just tires."

Those, in fact, were beanbags rounds used to break the SUV's windows to help officers talk to the suspects.

When ths suspect managed to slip between an armored vehicle and another police vehicle, officers eventually used the Pursuit Intervention Technique, or PIT, maneuver to bring the chase to an end.

Tactical officers deployed tear gas to get the suspects to exit the vehicle.

"It was kind of exciting," Owings said. "I mean, I didn't want anyone to get hurt obviously."

One of suspects dangled what appeared to be a white T-shirt outside the vehicle in surrender as he emerged shirtless. A second person also got out of the vehicle

Both were placed in handcuffs with shackles around their ankles.

Watch the entire chase as it unfolded below: