NewsLocal News


KCPD: 5 arrested for trespassing during protests

Breonna Taylor decision spurs KC calls for justice
Shoal Creek patrol protest.jpeg
KC Breonna Taylor protest.png
Posted at 8:09 PM, Sep 23, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-24 13:01:36-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — UPDATE, 11:27 a.m. Sept. 24 | Five people were arrested Wednesday night for trespassing at the KCPD station located at 1125 Locust St., according to a KCPD spokesperson.

UPDATE, 10:42 p.m. | Multiple people were arrested Wednesday night during protests in response to charges in the death of Breonna Taylor, according to a KCPD spokesperson.

All the charges were for misdemeanors, and the protests remained peaceful throughout the night.

KC protests continue in response to Breonna Taylor decision

Protest organizers learned that two of the arrested were at Shoal Creek, while another was taken to South Patrol.

Kansas City, Missouri, Mayor Quinton Lucas also spoke to 41 Action News about the charges in Taylor's case.

KC mayor responds to Lousville indictment

UPDATE, 9:53 p.m. | Three more protesters have been arrested, according to Kansas City, Missouri, protest organizers.

After spending time at KCPD Metro Patrol Headquarters in support of the first arrested protester, the crowd began moving to Shoal Creek Patrol to support the other three.

UPDATE, 9:23 p.m. | About 100 protesters gathered at Kansas City, Missouri, Police Headquarters Wednesday night following a grand jury's decision to only charge one of the three officers involved in Breonna Taylor’s death.

One was arrested for "trespassing in an area in front of headquarters," according to a KCPD spokesperson.

That area includes a monument dedicated to fallen officers, which was covered in saran wrap ahead of the protests.

UPDATE, 9 p.m. | Protests continued throughout the night, marching to various locations, including KCPD Metro Patrol Headquarters.

Their first stop was the Jackson County detention facility. However, the group returned to KCPD Headquarters after a protester was arrested and later marched to KCPD's Metro Patrol Headquarters to provide "jail support" for the protester.

ORIGINAL STORY | Dozens called for justice Wednesday outside the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Headquarters for local families who have lost loved ones.

This comes after the decision from a grand jury on Wednesday to only charge one of the three officers involved in Breonna Taylor’s death with a low-level felony – three counts of wanton endangerment, which can land someone in jail for up to five years.

Stacy Shaw, a Kansas City, Missouri, attorney and community activist, said the city has “not earned peace.”

“I'm not calling for peaceful protests,” Shaw said. “I only call for non-violent protests.”

Darron Edwards, lead pastor at United Believers Community Church, said the community has to march ahead.

“We've got to continue to fight for justice and fight for equity and equality,” Edwards said. “Hopefully this prayer and service today will renew my vigor to continue to stay in the fight.”

Many in attendance also called for KCPD Chief Rick Smith to be let go.