NewsLocal News

Actions

Carbon monoxide exposure at KCK supermarket sends 2 to hospital

STOCK kck fire department kckfd.jpg
Posted at 5:52 PM, Oct 12, 2021
and last updated 2021-10-13 10:24:21-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A carbon monoxide leak around noon Tuesday in a Kansas City, Kansas, supermarket sent two people to a hospital and sickened eight others.

KCK Fire Department crews were sent around noon to a medical call at the El Rio Bravo Supermarket, 11 S. 10th St.

The firefighters wear carbon monoxide detectors on their medical bags, an addition made in 2015.

When the firefighters walked into the store, those CO monitors went off, according to Battalion Chief Scott Schaunaman.

The readings showed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide.

The building was evacuated and more crews arrived.

Two patients were taken to a hospital, but there conditions are not life-threatening.

Six or seven people were given oxygen, but refused to be taken to hospitals, Schaunaman said.

Kansas Gas Service crews came to the scene cap the leak.

Schaunaman said the incident proved how important it is to have a CO detector in homes and businesses.