KCFD: Space heater causes house fire

Posted at 5:45 AM, Jan 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-20 09:53:11-05

A family is without a home Wednesday morning.

Fire crews showed up to the house 5600 block of East 23rd near Lawndale avenue at 1:50 a.m.

Investigators are still working to determine the official cause, but fire crews say at this point a space heater is to blame.

Fire officials say residents were checking up on their dog when they saw the bedroom on fire.

Everyone made it out safe.

The Red Cross is helping the family find a temporary place to live.

The National Fire Protection Association says 79 percent of home heating fire deaths involved space heaters.

CLICK HERE for more information on how to safely use space heaters. 


Andres Gutierrez can be reached at

Follow him on Twitter

Connect on Facebook