KANSAS CITY, Mo. — UPDATE, Wednesday, 4:04 p.m. | The Eastern Kansas Multi-County Taskforce has completed its investigation, according to a spokesperson with the city of Shawnee.
The fire has been ruled an accidental fire caused by an electrical component in the basement.
The fire progressed into a storage area underneath the stairwell that firefighters used to access the basement, which weakened the stairwell and caused it to collapse under the weight of fire crews.
The damage is estimated to be $300,000.
UPDATE, Wednesday, 12:00 p.m. | All four firefighters injured due to the partial collapse have been treated and released from the hospital, according to a spokesperson with the city of Shawnee.
The firefighter transported for heat-related purposes received medical attention, the spokesperson said in a statement.
"The bravery, courage and selflessness these men and women show every day when they show up on the job is unmatched. They make a promise to our community to protect and serve and that was on full display Tuesday night," Shawnee Mayor Michelle Distler said in a statement.
The fire remains under investigation.
ORIGINAL STORY, Tuesday | Five firefighters were injured while battling a blaze in Shawnee, Kansas, on Tuesday night.
According to a spokesperson for the Shawnee Fire Department, four of the firefighters were injured after a partial collapse occurred in the home.
Crews first responded to the area at around 9:10 p.m.
The four firefighters were transported to the University of Kansas hospital for treatment with minor injuries. All are in stable condition.
A fifth firefighter was treated for heat purposes.
The fire happened in the 4600 block of Silverheel Street in Shawnee, Kansas.
All residents escaped the fire and were not hurt.
This is a developing story and will be updated.