NewsLocal News


Protest winds down in Plaza, Midtown areas

dave jackson 11 p press conference
Posted at 12:18 AM, Jun 01, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-01 01:18:29-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City, Missouri, police began breaking down some of their perimeters near the Plaza around 11 p.m. Sunday night.

KCPD had a massive presence there and in the Midtown area after unrest following protests over police brutality took a more destructive turn.

An 8 p.m. curfew called for by Mayor Quinton Lucas was observed by many of the peaceful protestors, who left at that time.

Some of those who stayed behind began throwing water bottles and rocks at police.

Others damaged and vandalized some areas, including setting a 41 Action News car on fire.

A few blocks from the protest, police confirmed a person was shot to death, though they had not determined if it was directly related to the unrest.

KCPD Capt. Dave Jackson gave a ballpark of 10 to 20 arrests, and said he was unsure how many protestors remained in the area.

Jackson said Sunday night was better than previous nights of protest in some respects.

He said there was less property damage, but still too much conflict.

“There’s been too much gas, too much violence, too much conflict,” Jackson said. “This is not great but I do think it has gone better than last night.”

Jackson said KCPD learned from Friday and Saturday night, and had more resources available to them to handle the crowd Sunday night.

“Some of these lessons are tough lessons to learn, but you do learn from them,” Jackson said.

KCPD Sgt. Jake Becchina said no officers were seriously injured Sunday night, though some did need medical care.

Jackson noted police are in the tactical phase of addressing issues as they arise, but at a later time may look at other issues such as outside agitators.

Becchina said the department "had the opportunity to hear a lot from people" and wants people to come out and continue calling for positive change.

Becchina said KCPD doesn't have "direct intelligence" about protests happening tomorrow but their officers are on standby in the case there is more unrest.