NewsLocal News


Shawnee family displaced after space heater causes overnight fire

Shawnee fire.jpg
Posted at 2:58 AM, Jan 10, 2022
and last updated 2022-01-10 13:29:50-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Shawnee family of five was displaced overnight Monday after a space heater caused a residential fire.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 5400 block of Aminda Street in Shawnee about 1:30 a.m.

When they arrived, the fire was shooting out of a basement window of the home. It extended along the side of the home.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $350,000.

Firefighters said five people were inside the home when the fire started and they all got out safely after being alerted by smoke alarms.

A cat died in the fire.

Shawnee Fire Investigators said that the fire was caused by a space heater.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, home heating is the primary cause of residential fires from December to February.