NewsLocal News


Shawnee family of 5 displaced after house fire

Posted at 5:20 PM, Dec 27, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-27 18:20:37-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Shawnee family of five was displaced Sunday after a house fire that investigators believe originated in a wood-burning fireplace.

Fire crews responded around noon to 20800 West 69th Terrace, where smoke was showing upon arrival, according to a news release.

All family members escaped without injury, but damages are estimated at roughly $75,000, according to investigators.

Shawnee Deputy Fire Chief Corey Sands said in the release that the incident is a reminder to have fireplaces “professionally inspected and cleaned” at least once per year.