For a growing number of children, questions about their birth gender arise, prompting parents to react in multiple ways: some question themselves or their parenting techniques, and some accept their children while others reject them.
For at least two Kansas City families, the emotions around having transgender children is a reality. What do they feel? How do they react? How do their children know they are one gender despite being born as the other? What is it like for them growing up and gaining acceptance? What will their future be like as they progress throughout their lives
As part of a 41 Action News special report, we spoke with two families who are dealing with or have dealt with these issues. We also have a first-hand account of growing up and transitioning gender as an adult, and we also have a look at the future of living as somebody who has transitioned and is pursuing higher education around the region. These are just some of the situations that arise for those who are growing up transgender.
Reporters | Christa Dubill, Hannah Schmidt
Videographer and video editors | John Woods & Rex Harris
Digital Design | Hilary Hedges, Joe Ruiz & Bill Smith
Editors | Joe Ruiz & Melissa Greenstein
- Two families explain their journey with transgender children
- Transgender man reflects on growing up w/gender dysphoria, hopes for future
- Research and milestones for gender development in children
- Parent of transgender child and researcher answer audience questions
- Higher education institutions around the country providing gender-inclusive housing
- Resources for families of transgender children