Staley High School student's Samsung phone catches on fire during class

Posted at 1:29 PM, Nov 17, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-18 00:11:45-05

A student’s Samsung phone caught on fire during class at Staley High School Thursday morning.

No one was injured and the class was relocated to the library, said Principal Clark Mershon in an email sent out to parents.

RELATED | Samsung phone exchanges halted after new fire reports

A fan was put in the classroom to clear the smoke and smell. The school said as of late afternoon on Thursday, that the air is clear and they will reopen the room and clean as needed.

RELATED | Smoking Samsung phone forces evacuation of Southwest flight

The Clay County Sheriff tweeted out a photo of the phone. In the tweet they said, “Staley High School staff did a great job of keeping everyone safe when it caught fire.”

Tyler Herndon owns Set Cell, a cellphone store in Westport. Several customers have come in recently with overheated Samsung phones.

"I can see this becoming a real issue,” Herndon said. “It looks like it's a design flaw on a mass scale that we have never seen before."

Herndon has some advice.

“Recognizing the problem is key,” he said. “The first telltale sign is that your battery goes from lasting about 8 hours or a work day, to lasting about 2 hours."



Follow 41 Action News on Twitter:

Follow @41ActionNews

Like 41 Action News on Facebook: