UPDATE: MU professor makes deal in assault case

Posted at 10:53 AM, Jan 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-29 15:54:35-05

UPDATE, 1/ 29 - Columbia city prosecutor Steve Richey said Friday that Assistant Communications Professor Melissa Click agreed to serve 20 hours of community service and no jail time if she stays out of trouble for a year instead of being prosecuted.

Richey considers "this disposition to be appropriate."

Click was charged Monday in connection with her run-ins with a student photographer and a student videographer covering protests at the Columbia campus over racial issues.

Click called for "some muscle" to help remove the videographer. She later said she regretted her actions.

She was suspended by the university system's governing board Wednesday.

UPDATE, 1/27: Melissa Click has been suspended pending further investigation, according to a University of Missouri Board of Curators.
Pam Henrickson, chair of the UM Board of Curators, issued the following statement at the conclusion of Wednesday night’s special board meeting:

“MU Professor Melissa Click is suspended pending further investigation.

The Board of Curators directs the General Counsel, or outside counsel selected by General Counsel, to immediately conduct an investigation and collaborate with the city attorney and promptly report back to the Board so it may determine whether additional discipline is appropriate.”      

A University of Missouri assistant professor is charged with misdemeanor assault in connection with a run-in with student journalists during campus protests in November 2014.
Columbia city prosecutor Steve Richey filed the municipal court complaint Monday against Melissa Click, 45.
Click, an assistant professor of communications, drew national attention after she confronted a student photographer and another student videographer during the protests, calling for "muscle" to help remove them from the protest area.

The students were filming after the university system's president and the Columbia campus' chancellor resigned amid protests over what some saw as indifference to racial issues.
The videographer filed a complaint with university police.
Click did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment, and her listed home phone number is not in service.