Missouri's fire marshal says investigators are not able to determine the cause of an August fire in Osage Beach that killed four children.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports a fire investigator's report released Tuesday found the damage was so extensive he could not determine whether the fire was started by cigarette butts in a can or by electrical wiring from an air conditioning condenser on the condo's landing.
The can was on the floor of the landing between the condenser and a wall.
The children killed in the fire at the Compass Pointe Condominiums ranged in age from 5 to 2.
They were in bed when the fire broke out. An adult with them escaped and said he tried to return to rescue the children but became disoriented.