Kansas, Mizzou eliminated from NCAA Tournament in Round of 32

Posted at 5:25 PM, Mar 18, 2023
and last updated 2023-03-18 20:37:08-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas Jayhawks were live from Des Moines, Iowa, and the Mizzou Tigers tipped off in Sacramento, Califonia, for 2nd Round Saturday.


With Bill Self missing from the Wells Fargo Arena sidelines again, the No. 1 Jayhawks were able to establish an early lead over the No. 8 Arkansas Razorbacks.

Guard Joseph Yesufu, who started his collegiate basketball career in Des Moines with the Drake Bulldogs, got the crowd's attention with a 3-pointer that sailed in from near halfcourt, narrowly avoiding a shot-clock violation.

Just before the last three minutes of the first half, Dajuan Harris, Jr. went down on his ankle. He was subbed out and limped to the locker room.

KU was up 35-27 at halftime.

When the team took the court for the final 20 minutes, Harris was present.

Despite KU Adams' third foul, the Jayhawks continued to gain momentum, extending their lead into the double digits for a time.

But Arkansas clawed back, closing the gap.

In the final minutes, Arkansas fouled KU and Wilson capitalized on two baskets. Shortly after, KU fouled Arkansas twice, allowing the Razorbacks to take the lead with 20 seconds remaining.

During the foul frenzy, Kevin McCullar, Jr. fouled out.

With 3 seconds remaining, Wilson was at the line. While he was aiming to make one free throw and miss the second to rebound and tie, he sunk both.

Arkansas snatched the ball and claimed the 72-71 win, surviving and advancing to the Sweet 16.

Up until this game, Kansas had not lost a single game when leading at the half.


The Tigers-Tigers showdown between No. 7 Missouri and No. 15 Princeton tipped off close to 5:10 p.m. from Golden 1 Center.

Princeton was hot at the 3-point line, leading Mizzou early.

The 15 seed's streak continued, and Princeton was up by double digits in the final three minutes of the half.

But once Missouri switched to zone, the team went on a 7-0 run to close the first half.

MU trailed 33-26 at the half.

Once play resumed, Princeton regained control of the game.

Already down by 12, Mizzou suffered another blow when D'Moi Hodge went down after a contest at the net.

The 12-point deficit spiraled into 20, though the Tigers were able to tack on enough to regain a 15-point deficit.

In the end, Princeton pulled off the upset 78-63, punching its ticket to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1967.