3 police officers suffer non-life-threatening injuries in shooting Tuesday night in KCMO; standoff underway

Law enforcement standoff
2300 block of Blue Ridge Boulevard shooting and standoff
Posted at 10:04 PM, Feb 28, 2023
and last updated 2023-03-01 12:29:12-05

UPDATE, Wednesday, 10:59 a.m.| Independence police said the two people who exited the home are now in custody. There is no word on the names of the suspects or if there is anyone else still in the home.

UPDATE, Wednesday, 8:21 a.m. | The Independence Police Department said drones and robots were used to attempt to see whether anyone was still inside the home, but results were inconclusive.

UPDATE, Wednesday, 6:23 a.m. | The Missouri State Highway Patrol Troop A SWAT team has relieved IPD's SWAT team.

The standoff continues. Officials said they do not know for certain whether anyone is inside the home or not.

UPDATE, Wednesday, 4:30 a.m. | Independence police said two people have exited the home.

There is no word on whether the individuals are suspects or witnesses nor whether they have been taken into custody.

Officers are still working to see if there are others in the house. The investigation continues.

East 23rd Street is shut down from Interstate 435 east to Glenwood Avenue, while Blue Ridge Boulevard is shut down from 23rd Street to Westport Road.

Motorists should seek an alternate route.

ORIGINAL STORY, Tuesday, 10:05 p.m. |Kansas City, Missouri, police said three tactical officers were shot Tuesday while executing a search warrant.

The incident happened around 9:30 p.m. in the 2300 block of Blue Ridge Boulevard.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, which has taken over the shooting investigation, preliminary reports indicate the Jackson County Drug Task Force had requested the assistance of the KCPD SWAT Team to serve a search warrant at the home.

According to KCPD Chief of Police Stacey Graves, the three officers knocked on a door at the home and attempted to make entry.

MSHP said while knocking on the door, the officers were shot by someone inside the residence. The officers returned fire, but at this time MSHP does not know if anyone inside the home was hurt.

The three officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to survive.

Chief Graves said she spoke with the officers who were conscious and able to talk to her.

The incident triggered a standoff, which is still ongoing.

The Independence Police Department SWAT team has secured the outside of the home and is attempting to make contact with the suspect or suspects inside the home.