NewsLocal News


Kansas City hit with freezing rain, sleet; dozens of crashes reported

Icy stormtracker.jpeg
Icy curb.jpeg
Posted at 4:33 AM, Jan 17, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-17 16:04:11-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Road conditions across the Kansas City metro deteriorated quickly as freezing rain and sleet pelleted the area on Friday morning.

The freezing rain and sleet began to fall just after 4 a.m. Plows were out laying salt at that time, and the hope was that rain wouldn't wash the pretreatment off of metro roads.

Just before 5 a.m., Kansas City, Missouri, police advised that Interstate 70 between Truman Road and Manchester Road was very slick and several crashes were occurring in that area. No one was seriously injured at that time.

Crews closed Interstate 435 in both directions at Interstate 35 in Claycomo around 7:30 a.m. because of a crash and continued slide offs.

A Lee's Summit Fire Department pumper rolled onto its side around 5:10 a.m. due to icy conditions. According to officials, it was traveling south on Southwest Ward Road near Southwest Stuart Road when the incident happened.

No one was hurt, but the pumper was significantly damaged.

Kansas City, Missouri, police reported 63 vehicle crashes between 5 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Of those crashes, 35 were injury crashes.

Troop A of the Missouri State Highway Patrol said as of 2 p.m., it received 160 calls for service, 59 of which were stranded drivers, 58 non-injury crashes and seven injury crashes. Troop a reported zero fatalities.

A plane slid off the taxiway at the Kansas City International Airport after 6 a.m. No one was injured in the slideoff.

The airport shut down while crews treated the icy conditions. It reopened around 8 a.m., but had to close again around 8:30 a.m.

It finally reopened again at 11:50 a.m.

Several flights headed from Nashville to KCI were canceled Friday. The flights were likely transporting Tennessee Titans fans to the AFC Championship game, so that could have an affect on who makes it to Sunday's Chiefs game.

A salt company told 41 Action News that when laying down salt on driveways and sidewalks, be sure to use salt that is 100% magnesium chloride, calcium chloride or calcium magnesium acetate. This will help pavement from erosion in the future.

RideKC officials said all buses operated by the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority were suspended until 2 p.m. due to road conditions. Unified Government Transit was suspended as well, and resumed at 2:30 p.m. KCATA, Independence and Johnson County bus routes began regular service Friday afternoon as well. Officials said riders whould be prepared for possible delays.

Around 9 a.m., RideKC Freedom paratransit service was suspended and planned to only make trips for dialysis, medical appointments and return trips for those who traveled earlier in the morning.

The Kansas City area is under a Winter Weather Advisory for the system moving through until 6 p.m. It could cause icy roads for the morning commute and continue throughout the day.

Evergy told 41 Action News that it had prepared for up to one-quarter inch of ice from the storm, and as a result, the company was not expecting to see widespread power outages on Friday.

Many schools issued cancellations ahead of the weather. You can view those here.

Children's Mercy Hospital closed all three of its urgent cares until 3 p.m. The National World War I Museum and Memorial also closed Friday due to the weather.

Kansas City, Missouri, officials said that residents should expect delays in trash and recycling collection on Friday. Crews were collecting but moving cautiously.

Bulky collection for the regular Friday Northland route was delayed and will be collected Saturday. Those crews were reassigned to snow and ice removal, according to the city.

The evening commute has a shot of being less slick, as temperatures should rise above freezing and the freezing rain should switch over to rain by that time.