NewsLocal News


Friends hold balloon release for 3 KCMO homicide victims

Victims found dead in home on Woodland Avenue
Balloon release
Posted at 6:55 PM, Jul 17, 2021
and last updated 2021-07-17 23:33:38-04

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The friends of three victims found dead in a home on Woodland Avenue in Kansas City, Missouri, on Thursday, gathered to honor them during two separate balloon release events Saturday.

Classmates of one of the victims held the first balloon release outside Central High School. The boyfriend of one of the victims organized the second balloon release outside Lee A. Tolbert Academy in the evening.

On Thursday night, The Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department responded the 3200 block of Woodland Avenue after family requested police check on the people living in a home.

Officers found the victims dead inside the home with injuries that did not appear natural.

KCPD has yet to identify the victims in this case. However, friends of the victims told KSHB 41 the victims are 25-year-old Jaelin Ransom, 23-year-old Tyla Ransom and their mother, Shirley.

“We’re going to miss her spirit, her kindness, her laughter, her humor and everything about her," Patrice Banks, who went to high school with Tyla Ransom, said. "She was just so, literally the best person you could’ve ever known.”

Tyla’s boyfriend, Jeremiah Gatson, told a crowd he enjoyed every second of their two-year long relationship.

“I know Tyla, if she was here, she would’ve loved [the balloon release],” Gatson said.

Gatson’s mother, Paula Betts, said she grew extremely fond of Tyla during their relationship, calling her a daughter of her own.

“Tyla is very loving, she’s a very sweet girl,” Betts said. “She’s just means the world to me and my family.”

Friends remembered Jaelin as a huge NFL fan who, despite living in Kansas City, rooted for the New England Patriots.

Shirley’s nieces recalled her being the most sweet aunt they could’ve asked for.

Tyla’s Central High School classmates hope the balloon releases keep the case in the public’s eye.

“I’m hoping someone will speak up and see she has people out here who love her and people who are also going to be willing to help the police and take them down because at the end of the day, she was an innocent person and she was going to be another Black Queen out here,” Destiny Evans said.

KCPD still hasn't released any information on the cause of their death's or any leads on potential suspects.