KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Kansas City Chiefs released Kareem Hunt on Friday evening, saying he "was not truthful" when questioned about an incident at a Cleveland hotel in February.
TMZ Sports released hotel surveillance video that appears to show Hunt shoving several people, including a 19-year-old woman, and knocking several people to the ground before kicking the teenage girl during an altercation outside his room at The Metropolitan at the 9.
According to statement from the Chiefs announcing Hunt's release, members of the franchise's management team spoke with Hunt, who led the NFL in rushing as a rookie in 2017, about the incident earlier this year.
The Chiefs said the video confirms Hunt wasn't truthful in those discussions, prompting his immediate release.
The full statement can be read below:
“Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt. At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately.”
After his released, Hunt gave a statement to the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport: "I want to apologize for my actions. I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this."
Shortly before the Chiefs' announcement, the NFL added Hunt to the exempt list, which prevents him from practicing or playing as it reviews "the new information that was made public" with the video's release.
The NFL has placed Kareem Hunt of the Kansas City Chiefs on the Commissioner Exempt list, and as a result, he may not practice, play or attend games. The NFL's investigation, which began immediately following the incident in February, will include a review of the new information that was made public today.
No arrests or charges were made in connection to the incident. It’s unclear if police had access to the surveillance video.
The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted that neither the Chiefs nor the NFL had seen the video before it was published. Rapoport said the league made several attempts to obtain it but neither the hotel nor police would release it.
Rapoport also said the NFL attempted to contact the alleged victims but they didn't return messages.