NewsLocal News

Actions

Kareem Hunt: 'I was wrong ... I am sorry'

KSHB-Web_Promo_Image_960x720.png
Posted at 2:11 PM, Dec 02, 2018
and last updated 2018-12-02 15:11:31-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo — Former Chiefs star running back Kareem Hunt made a public apology Sunday, saying he is embarrassed after seeing himself in a recent video showing him assault a woman. 

"On that video, that is not me, that is not the person I am. I am very embarrassed by it and I want to do what it takes to earn peoples trust back and show I'm a good guy," said Kareem Hunt. 

Kareem Hunt's life was forever changed after video showed him pushing and kicking a woman in February. Hours later hew was released by the team. 

Hunt made a public apology on ESPN Sunday morning. 

"I just didn't tell them the video. I didn't say anything really about too much of that and when I saw the video, it was my first time seeing the video. I realized what I did once I saw the video. It was really tough to watch and I know I am not that type of person," said Hunt. 

Hunt admits he lied to the Chiefs about what happened. 

Aside from the February incident, he also is accused of punching a man this summer. 

"I think Clark Hunt and the organization made the right decision. Its unfortunate but that kind of behavior cant be tolerated," said Chiefs fan Alex Riddle. 

The question is, is an apology enough? Should Hunt be given a second chance in the NFL?

"I'm all for giving someone a second change. But they have to prove it. It is one thing of saying it but you have to follow up with action," said Riddle. 

Hunt says he may have an anger issue and is seeking counseling. 

"It could be an issue, I feel like everyone gets a little angry sometimes. I feel like, I am going to get treatment on it, I want to make sure nothing like this happens again," said Hunt. 

The NFL released a statement Sunday saying, "The NFL's ongoing investigation will include further attempts to speak to the complainants involved in the incident. It will include a review of the new information that was made public on Friday - which was not available to the NFL previously - as well as further conversations with all parties involved in the incident."