Babysitter charged after boy's hands badly-burned in Independence

Warning: Some images in the video are graphic
Posted at 7:12 PM, May 12, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-15 16:23:56-04

UPDATE 3:00 PM 5/15/2017: A babysitter has been charged after a child's hands were badly burned while he was in her care. 

Christian Y. Johnston, 36, of Independence, Missouri, is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

According to a probable cause statement, Johnston told investigators and the boy's mother that his hands were burned when he spilled a bowl of hot ramen noodles on himself. However, doctors at Children's Mercy Hospital said that description of events doesn't match his injuries. 

Johnston also admitted to lying to both the boy's mothers and investigators about when the boy was injured. She said his hands were actually burned on May 6 — two days before she reported it to the boy's mother. 


A 2-year-old boy is using his feet to play because his hands are severely burned. 

His mother told 41 Action News it happened while the child, Vincent, was in the babysitter's care and she wants answers.

"No child should ever have to go through this,” the mother said. 

We're not identifying his mom because what happened remains under investigation.

On Monday, Vincent’s mom said the babysitter called her to tell her there was an accident involving Vincent and ramen noodles Sunday night.

"She told me there were a couple of blisters, that there was nothing bad. I asked if we needed to take him to the doctor, she said no it doesn't hurt, he's OK,” the mother said. 

But when she picked up her son from the sitter's on Tuesday she discovered his burns were severe. She took him to the emergency room.

"It looked like his skin is falling off, just hanging from his hand," the mother said. 

She said doctors at Children's Mercy don't believe this was an accident.

"Because if it was that there would be splash marks on his face and his chest things like that. Where as this it was fully his hands, it was submerged into water for at least 30 seconds to one minute,” the mother said. 

41 Action News tried to talk with the babysitter but no one answered the door. Neighbors said they noticed police at the house Thursday. The mom's allegations surprised them.

We are not identifying the sitter because she is not charged with a crime.

"I thought I knew who she was and I don't feel like I know her now,” the mom said. 

She said doctors haven't ruled out skin grafts for her son's hands. Vincent is expected to remain at the hospital for at least for another three days, and doctors say he has months of rehab ahead of him.