Thieves are stealing cars across the metro at an alarming rate.
Wednesday night, security cameras in front a Kansas City, Kansas convenient store captured a man stealing a car.
Surveillance video shows a young male walking around the parking lot and looking around.
He puts up his jacket hood, walks over to the car and within 40 seconds he is gone.
“It's very fast. They don't take no time. You walk in a store and they are out there watching,” said Adish Hot, who captured the video on his business’ camera.
Thieves in the metro are targeting not only idling cars but also those that are locked—and your car’s make and model could be making it an easier target.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau these are the top 10 most stolen vehicles:
- Honda Accord (1996, 1997, 1994)
- Honda Civic (1998, 1997, 2000)
- Ford F-Series full size pickup (2006, 2005, 2004)
- Chevrolet full size pickup (1999, 2003, 2004)
- Toyota Camry (1991)
- Dodge Ram full size pickup (2004, 2001, 2005)
- Dodge Caravan (2000, 2002, 2003)
- Nissan Altima (2013)
- Acura Integra (1994, 1995)
- Nissan Maxima (1996)
Ariel Rothfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.