Sources say Greitens could face another charge

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sources confirm to 41 Action News that Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley turned over evidence to the Cole County prosecutor that could bring a new charge against Gov. Eric Greitens.

The evidence alleges Greitens knowingly filed false campaign disclosure forms to the Missouri Ethics Commission.

The possible new charge involves the charity Greitens founded, The Mission Continues.

In April 2017, Greitens settled a complaint with the state ethics commission. The campaign was fined and admitted that it failed to disclose the charity donor list.

Greitens signed a document saying the donor list was given to the campaign as an in-kind donation in 2015 by former campaign manager Danny Laub.

The Missouri Attorney General’s Office confirmed late Friday that it has deposed Laub in the case.

Hawley’s investigation of the charity donor list led to new charges against Greitens last week.

The St. Louis prosecutor charged Greitens with felony computer tampering for allegedly taking the donor list without permission.

Greitens and his attorneys deny those claims and say the list was given to them.

Sources told 41 Action News Hawley turned over evidence that allegedly proves the donor list was not given to the campaign and that the campaign did not obtain the list in 2015.

Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson has jurisdiction over where the alleged crime happened.“The Attorney General’s Office continues its investigation and continues to refer evidence when appropriate to the House Investigative Committee and the relevant prosecutors with jurisdiction,” a statement sent to 41 Action News said.

Attorneys for Greitens filed a temporary restraining order against Hawley. On Thursday a Cole County judge heard the motion and both sides are awaiting the judge’s decision.  

In February, Greitens was indicted by a grand jury on a felony invasion of privacy charge. 

Court documents accuse Greitens of knowingly photographing an unidentified person in a state of partial or full nudity without consent and when the victim would have had a reasonable expectation of privacy. The incident allegedly occurred on March 21, 2015. 

---

Print this article Back to Top