Weather

Actions

Slightly Cooler Air Is In The Forecast

1.jpg
Posted at 7:53 AM, Jul 09, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-09 09:15:09-04

Good morning bloggers,

Thunderstorms tracked right towards KC, and then turned south into Oklahoma. Some rain made it into the KC metro area, but it was not enough for your garden or lawn. When the temperatures get into the upper 80s and 90s (yesterday was 94°), the lawn needs around 2" of rain per week to keep it lush and green and not stressed out. Last night, KCI Airport had 0.03" of rain. The next chance of rain appears to be Saturday morning, and that one has a chance of missing us to the east. This one, hit areas west of KC.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.37.35 AM.png

This radar image above is how the radar looked just before midnight last night. It was heading right towards KC. I had concerns it was going to turn south.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.37.53 AM.png

By 2 AM it was producing a curving band of severe thunderstorms with wind damage. So, the good news is that we had no severe weather in KC. The bad news is that it turned south and now we are left needing to water the lawn:

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.38.31 AM.png

By just after 7 AM, the rain did clip KC, with the heavy thunderstorms down near the Oklahoma border. If Saturday's storm turns south like this one, then KC likely will get hit with heavy rain then. Saturday's storm is associated with a cold front.

2.png

This next forecast map above shows the weather pattern on Saturday morning. A cold front will be moving through, and just ahead of this front will be another good chance of thunderstorms. Last night's system tracked west of KC, and this one may track just east of KC. There is a chance that it will turn south, just like last night's did, so maybe we will get a good drink of water Saturday.

Forecast Timeline:

  • Today: Mostly cloudy this morning. The clouds will clear and it will warm up into the upper 80s. The chance of any more rain is less than 10%. Light winds
  • Tonight: Clear with a few clouds by morning. There is a 20% chance of a morning thunderstorm. This means there is an 80% chance there isn't a morning thunderstorm. Low: 70°
  • Friday: A few morning clouds with that slim chance of an early morning thunderstorm. High: 90°
  • Saturday: Turning cooler with a 60% chance of morning thunderstorms. High: 85°
  • Sunday: A nice mild start to the day with a low of 63°. Mostly sunny during the afternoon with northwest winds 5-15 mph. High: 84°

We will have new data to analyze soon. Thank you for spending a few minutes of your day reading the Action Weather Blog! We will go in-depth with KC's Most Accurate Forecast today and tonight on 41 Action News. Have a great Thursday!

Gary