Good morning bloggers,
Snow began falling after midnight and it spread over most areas. It was another snowy morning with school closings in KC. Here are the weather dogs, Sunny & Rainbow, showing the slick conditions early today:
This snow was caused by a stretching band of vorticity that was pretty strong early this morning creating positive vorticity advection, which causes lifting. It will pass by early this morning, and the snow will end with 1/2" to 1" in most areas.
A huge warm up will happen as we move into Super Bowl Sunday, and then this:
There will be a storm forming and affecting the plains early next week. Will the Super Bowl parade be in San Francisco, or will it be in Kansas City. If it is in KC, there is a lot of debate on whether it will be Wednesday or Thursday. A cold blast will be on the move south Tuesday and Tuesday night, and that 3 to 6 inch snowstorm that is showing up will be over by early Wednesday. Where exactly will this line up?
Some models have a well formed upper low. If a well formed upper low develops the snow may be pulled farther north. If it is more stretched out like this latest GFS model, then the snow would be near KC. We will be narrowing in on the most likely solution in the next couple of days. A cold shot will be moving in too.
Between now and next week's storm, there will be one big warm up around Super Bowl Sunday.
Kansas City Weather Timeline:
- Today: Snow ending by mid-morning. It will be slick and hazardous out there. Check with 41 Action News, and here on KSHB.com for all of the school closings. High: 32°
- Tonight: Cloudy & cold. Low: 28° Some Dense Fog is possible
- Thursday: Cloudy & cold . Some fog is possible early in the day. High: 34°
- Friday: Mostly cloudy with a few rain or snow showers possible. High: 38°
- Saturday: The sun will break out with a warming trend. High: 49°
- Sunday: GO CHIEFS! Mostly sunny, breezy, and much warmer. High: 65°
We will go in-depth as we track this wild weather pattern on 41 Action News today and tonight!