Good morning bloggers,
There is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms today. This risk is very low for Kansas City. There is a slightly better chance of severe thunderstorms near the Iowa border after 6 PM tonight. Take a look at this storm developing now:
Kansas City Weather Timeline:
- Now - 12 PM: A band of rain and thunderstorms will move across. We are not expecting severe thunderstorms out of this first band of thunderstorms. Expect some lightning, thunder, and a few heavy downpours. South winds shifting to the southwest and increasing. Temperatures in the 60s.
- 12 PM - 6 PM: The thunderstorms and rain move away. Temperatures warm up to 75° with southwest winds 20-40 mph and gusty. The chance of rain goes down to 20%.
- 6 PM -9 PM: Dry in Kansas City with a very low risk of any new thunderstorms. There is a chance of severe weather near the Iowa border. Temperatures in the 70s and dropping into the 60s
- 9 PM - Midnight: A cold front approaching with temperatures still in the 60s
- Midnight - 6 AM Friday: Cloudy with the cold blast arriving. Temperatures crashing to around 29 degrees by morning
The risk of severe weather will be along the path of that Low (the L) on the map. It is forecast to track into Iowa this evening and race away. As it zips by, some strong to severe thunderstorms are possible, and more likely in Iowa or near the Iowa border. If they sneak a bit farther south some severe thunderstorms with large hail and damaging winds being the main threat, and we will be paying close attention to this possibility.
The risk of tornadoes is shown above. The 10% chance area is in Iowa and this is the most likely area for severe weather today. There is another larger 10% area from southeastern Missouri into Indiana. This is a target as well. Again, we will pay close attention to this, but the chance of any severe weather in KC is very low. The 10% chance means there is a 10% chance of a tornado within 25 miles of your location. In KC, this chance is 2%, or a 98% chance that there will not be a tornado within 25 miles of your location.
By morning, the cold blast arrives and there may even be a few snowflakes early tomorrow morning.
We will be monitoring this closely on 41 Action News. Have a great day! Spring begins tonight as we are in the final moments of winter today.