Kansas City Restaurant Week is a week of celebrating food that gives back to the community. Chef de Cuisine, Matthia Seyfrid of Grunauer gives a sneak peak at what to expect at this year’s event.
Tomatospätzle (for four people)
- 1 lb all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 12 tbs milk
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- Mix all ingredients until a smooth slightly runny batter forms.
- Let batter rest for one hour.
- Scrape batter into simmering salted water either off a board or aspatzlemaker.
- Skim spaetzle into a buttered bowl or Pyrex and keep warm until further use. (Keep the cooking water)
- 1/2 cup carrots (large dice)
- 1/2 cup turnips (large dice)
- 2 tbs butter plus 2 more to finish the dish
- 1/2 cup shaved brussel sprouts
- 1/2 cup shaved red cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup grated hard cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Toss carrots and turnips with a little olive oil, spread out on a sheet tray and roast in the oven until caramelized.
- In a large skillet melt butter, add brussel sprouts and mushrooms.
- Sautee until lightly browned, add red cabbage and the oven roasted root vegetables along with the hazelnuts.
- Stir for a minute or two and finally add the spaetzle with some of the cooking water. Mount in the remaining butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully arrange on four pre-warmed plates and sprinkle with the cheese.