NewsKansas City Public Safety


Independence police officer, civil process server killed; 2 other officers shot serving eviction

Independence Chief of Police Adam Dustman
Slain Independence Officer Cody Allen
Independence officer shooting
Independence officer shot
Scene near Independence officers shooting
Independence Officers shot
Posted at 1:48 PM, Feb 29, 2024
and last updated 2024-03-02 14:50:05-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — An Independence police officer and a civil process server were killed in a shooting Thursday afternoon in Independence while civil process servers were serving an eviction, police said.

Independence Police Officer Cody Allen, 35, died from injuries sustained in a shooting after police responded to help court officers — including Drexel Mack, who also died in the shooting — after someone at a residence in the 1100 block of North Elsea Smith and Bundschu roads opened fire.

RELATED | 'A hero': Colleagues mourn loss of Cody Allen, Independence officer who died rendering aid

Two other officers were injured and transported to Centerpoint Medical Center along with the suspect, who opened fire after county court officials came to the house to evict him, then shot at the Independence police officers who responded to Mack's call for assistance. The injured officers are recovering as of Saturday, per an Independence Police Department spokesperson.

RELATED | 'We lost one of our own': Civil process server Drexel Mack shot, killed while serving eviction notice

Independence police were called at 1:09 p.m. to help civil process servers from the Jackson County Circuit Court after Mack was shot while serving the eviction.

There were multiple civil process servers at the residence, but only Mack was shot, according to Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesperson Corporal Justin Ewing.

Independence Chief of Police Adam Dustman said that arriving officers went to assist Mack.

“Our officers performed heroically,” Dustman said. “They found a male down at the address and went in to render aid and extract the victim that they found.”

Three Independence police officers responding to the scene were shot, including Allen. The suspect also suffered minor injuries and was taken into custody.

Dustman confirmed that Allen, who spent two stints with the department, died. He started his law enforcement career in Grandview before joining the Independence Police Department.

“He is a hero and, unfortunately, he lost his life today serving his community,” Dustman said.

After briefly leaving the department for a job in the private sector, Allen returned to IPD around two years ago, according to Dustman, who said he has a wife, two small children and parents who live in the area.

“We just ask for privacy for them,” Dustman said. “Obviously, the weeks ahead, years ahead, a lifetime’s worth — you don’t ever fill that void. We will stand with them.”

One of the other two officers that were shot sustained critical injuries and required surgery.

Multiple agencies, including tactical units, responded to the scene after the officers were shot.

Officers with the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department responded for an Operation 100 after the armed suspect barricaded himself in the house.

Eventually, tactical officers were able to take the suspect into custody, but law enforcement had not yet entered and cleared the house as of 5 p.m. on Thursday, when the tactical operation remained ongoing.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol will investigate the shooting at the request of the Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

A spokesperson for the Jackson County Circuit Court released a statement just before 4 p.m. on Thursday:

"We are devastated that a court employee, who is a public servant, was shot by a member of the public while performing their job," Circuit Court Presiding Judge Jalilah Otto said in the statement. "Our hearts are heavy and our thoughts are with our employee, our entire Court family, and the Independence Police Department."

It happened a few miles from several Fort Osage R-I School District schools.

A Fort Osage spokesperson said every school in the district was placed on lockdown out of an abundance of caution.

The lockdown was later lifted and schools dismissed on time. All students and schools remained safe during the incident.

KCPD along with the Jackson and Clay county sheriff's offices assisted the Independence Police Department at the scene.