NewsLocal NewsParade Shooting


KCPD: Dispute among several people led to shooting; 2 juveniles remain detained

Parade Shooting 2.png
Stacey Graves
Posted at 11:43 AM, Feb 15, 2024
and last updated 2024-02-15 14:48:36-05

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Two juveniles were among the multiple subjects detained in connection to the mass shooting following the Chiefs Kingdom Champions Victory Parade rally Wednesday, Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department Chief Stacey Graves said at a press conference Thursday morning.

Graves said the shooting was a result of an argument between several people.

RELATED | LIVE UPDATES | Police say 2 juveniles among those detained following Union Station shooting

The chief did not specify how many subjects of interest have been identified or detained. Investigators are working to determine the involvement of others.

Police have 24 hours from the arrest to file charges, otherwise those detained must be released. Graves said KCPD is working closely with the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office to bring charges forward.

LINK | Complete KSHB 41 coverage of Union Station shooting

The shooting was not an act of terrorism or homegrown violent extremism, Graves said.

Overnight, investigators determined there were 23 shooting victims, while others have injuries not related to gunshot wounds.

Police say the victims ranged in ages from 8 to 47. At least half of the victims are under the age of 16.

Graves officially identified Lisa Lopez-Galvan as the sole fatality of the mass shooting. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

“We are still learning about her, but know that she is beloved by many,” Graves said about Lopez-Galvan. “To her friends and family, we are with you and we are working tirelessly to investigate her murder.”

Other victim conditions included eight critical, seven serious and six with minor injuries. An update on their conditions was not provided at the press conference.

“KCFD had a plan in place and we were ready to respond to an incident like this,” Kansas City, Missouri, Fire Department Chief Ross Grundyson said at the press conference.

Approximately eight personnel from KCFD and KC Medical were in the immediate vicinity of the shooting when it began, Grundyson said.

"These members did not run for cover but stayed on scene to treat and triage the injured while additional KCFD units ran to their assistance," Grundyson said.

Federal assistance has been made available to assist in the investigation, Graves said.