Worlds of Fun hosts 2015 Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City Race for the Cure

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Picture it: Breast cancer patients, survivors, family members and loved ones converging on Worlds of Fun--all sporting The Susan G. Komen signature color, pink.

It will happen on Sunday, Sept. 13 when more than 20,000 people will be at the starting line at the popular amusement park.

The crowd will include Christa Dubill and Cynthia Newsome of 41 Action News. Newsome is a breast cancer survivor who battled the disease. After her diagnosis in June 2011, Newsome underwent chemo, surgery and radiation treatment for the rest of the year. On Jan. 1, 2012 she returned to work.

8 things to know about the race

1. You can still register. Click here to sign up. Options include individual and team registration.

2. You can donate. If you can't make it to the race, Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City welcomes financial support.

Where does the money go? "Up to 75 percent of the net income from the Race stays right here in our community to fund vital breast cancer health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25 percent supports Komen’s national research and training grants program." -- Komen Kansas City 

3. Worlds of Fun passes! With registration, you get a $10 pass that allows you to enter the park at 10:00 a.m. to stay and play on race day.

4. Walk or run. The race is a 5K route, which is about  3.1 miles. There is also a shorter route, the one- mile Family Fun Run/Walk. You can walk or run either route. 

Watch the timelapse video below of 41 Action News anchor Richard Sharp's tour of the course. If you cannot see the media player below, click here to watch

TIMELAPSE: Race for the Cure 2015 Course

5. In or out? Strollers are in, but pets are out.

6. Parking. It is $10 per car, with $5 donated to Komen Kansas City. More details here.

7. Socialize! Hash tags for Race Day include: #KomenKC & #UnitedWeFight on all platforms.

8. Map it. Click here for a detailed map showing the race routes

SCHEDULE:

6:00 AM | Registration/Partner Expo & Kids for the Cure Opens
6:00 AM | Survivors Pavilion & VIP Breakfast Opens
7:30 AM | Opening Ceremony/Survivor Celebration
7:30 AM | National Anthem & Survivor Parade* (New time)
8:15 AM | Races Begin: 5K Timed (First), 5K Untimed & 1-Mile
9:30 AM | Closing Ceremonies
10:00 AM | Worlds of Fun Park Access w/Discounted Pass

Looking for more information?

  • Check out the Komen Kansas City website
  • Give them a call: 816.842.0410 (office) 816.842.4444 (race hotline)
  • Email address: info@komenkansascity.org

Information provided by Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City.

Print this article Back to Top

#KCSafeOnline